Sunday, June 17, 2012

TriangleTransit - Taking The Bus To Work

Well, it was one week on Thursday that I began taking the bus to work at Duke University Medical Center,  Fabulous!  That is the best word to describe the experience thus far.  I walk 15-20minutes in the morning to the bus stop on Wilmington and Martin (near the Busy Bee restaurant).  Get on the bus with my GoPass.  Take a seat in a spacious, air-conditioned bus with free Wi-Fi that makes four additional stops before my stop at Duke South.  In the morning it takes me about 10 minutes longer to get to work, in the evening about 20  minutes.  BIG DEAL!

It was cost me $52 per month to park at Duke and take a shuttle bus to my office.  It was costing me about $45-$50 per week in gas.  The cost to get a monthly Pass for the bus is $85; however, my employer, like many, is picking up the tab to ease the severe parking issues at Duke.  It cost me nothing, only to walk and wait for a bus ride.  Do the math!

Besides, I need the 15-20 minute walk twice daily walk for exercise.  At work the walking is a washout, same with the bus as when I drove a car.   I don't even have to pay for my exercise opportunity like many people who belong to a gym!

The ride is comfortable.  The buses are 95% on time; give or take 5 minutes.  The drivers are helpful and nice!  The passengers welcomed me to they "club".  Some are even entertaining... like a sitcom!  You can get some work done on your laptop, read a book (or Kindle), or sleep like I did for about 30 minutes on the ride home.  Oh yeah, I forgot.... starting in July some of the bus routes will allow the buses to travel on the highway shoulders if the traffic is too congested and not moving.

THE TRIANGLE BUS SERVICE IS ONE OF THE BEST KEPT SECRETS!  From what I read the ridership has doubled over the past couple of years.... and I can see why.  With the price of gas you can save enough money on gas and wear and tear on your care to give you a nice little raise.

I'm not sure if all of our bus services in the city are the same as the TriangleTransit, like the CAT, but if they are, Raleigh and the surrounding areas on the road to success with public transportation.

Check out the TriangleTransit website for more information:  http://triangletransit.org/about/

Gary

No comments: